John Janicek, DVM, MS, DACVSReturn to Previous Page
Dr. John Janicek is originally from Bellville, Texas. He graduated from Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine in 2002, which was followed by a 1-year surgical internship at Hagyard Equine Medical Institute in Lexington, Kentucky. Subsequently, he completed a 3-year equine surgery residency at the University of Missouri and remained at the University of Missouri for an additional year as a faculty surgeon. In 2007, he became a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons. He obtained a Masters of Science degree in 2007 while performing research in the University of Missouri Comparative Orthopaedic Laboratory and the E. Paige Laurie Equine Lameness Endowment Program. He was a staff surgeon at Weems and Stephens Equine Hospital for 6 years prior to arriving at Brazos Valley Equine Hospitals. Dr. Janicek has published over 30 veterinary surgery articles, multiple veterinary surgery book chapters, and has presented numerous veterinary surgery related topics at the regional, national, and international meetings.
His clinical interests include:
- Wobblers surgery
- Neurological disease
- Orthopedic and soft tissue surgery
- Lameness evaluation
- Regenerative and sports medicine
- Barrel racing horses
To watch Dr. Janicek’s Platinum Performance video, “I Am An Equine Veterinarian” click here.
- Warnock JJ, Fox DB, Stoker AM, Beatty M, Cockrell M, Janicek JC, Cook JL
Culture of equine fibroblast-like synoviocytes on synthetic tissue scaffolds towards meniscal tissue engineering: a preliminary cell-seeding study. PeerJ 2014:2:353.
- Janicek JC, McClure SR, Lescun TB, Witte S, Schultz L, Whittal CR, Whitfield-Cargile C. Risk factors associated with cast complications in horses: 398 cases (1997-2006). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2013:242(1):93-98.
- Janicek JC, Lopes MA, Wilson DA, Reed S, Keegan KG. Hindlimb kinematics before and after laser fibrotomy in horses with fibrotic myopathy. Equine Vet J 2012:44 Suppl 43:126-131.
- Keegan KG, Dent EV, Wilson DA, Janicek JC, Kramer J, LaCarrubba A, Walsh DM, Cassels MW, Ester TM, Schiltz P, Frees KE, Wilhite CL, Clark JM, Pollit CC, Shaw R, Norris T. Repeatability of subjective evaluation of lameness in horses. Equine Vet J 2010:42(2);92-97.
- Janicek JC, Cook JL, Wilson DA, Kaufmann-Ketzner KM. Multiple osteochondral autografts for treatment of a medial trochlear ridge subchondral cystic lesion in the equine tarsus. Vet Surg 2010:39(1);95-100.
- Janicek JC, Wilson DA, Carson WL, Kramer J. An in vitro biomechanical comparison of dynamic condylar screw plate combined with a dorsal plate and double plate fixation of distal diaphyseal radial osteotomies in adult horses. Vet Surg 2009:38(6);719-731.
- Janicek JC, Ketzner KM. Performance-limiting laryngeal disorders. Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet Equine Ed 2008:3(8);416-429.
- Janicek JC, Ketzner KM. Airflow mechanics, upper respiratory diagnostics, and performance-limiting pharyngeal disorders. Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet Equine Ed 2008:3(7);366-380.
- Janicek JC, Carson WL, Wilson DA. Development of an in vitro three dimensional loading-measurement system for long bone fixation under multiple loading conditions. J Orthop Surg Res 2007.
- Janicek JC, Hunt RJ. Management of infectious tarsal sheath tenosynovitis. Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet Equine Ed 2006:1(2);94-104.
- Janicek JC, Rodgerson DH, Hunt RJ, Spirito MA, Thorpe PE, Tessman RK.
Racing prognosis of horses following surgically repaired olecranon fractures. Can Vet J 2006:47(3);241-245.
- Janicek JC, Kramer J, Coates JR, Lattimer JC, LaCarrubba A, Messer NT. Intracranial abscessation caused by Rhodococcus equi infection in a foal. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2006:228(2);251-253.
- Janicek JC, Dabareiner R, Honnas CM, Crabill MC. Heel bulb lacerations in horses: 101 cases (1986-1994). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2005:226(3);418-423.
- Janicek JC, Rodgerson DH, Boone B. Hand-assisted laparoscopic removal of a leiomyoma in the standing mare. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2004:225(6);911-914.