Ben Buchanan, DVM, DACVIM, DACVECCReturn to Previous Page
Dr. Ben Buchanan grew up in Navasota, Texas. He went to Texas A&M and graduated from there with his DVM in 2001. Afterwards, he completed two residencies; Large Animal Internal Medicine at University of Tennessee, Knoxville in 2004 and Emergency and Critical Care at University of Pennsylvania in 2005. Ben is one of the very few people in the world to be board certified in Internal Medicine and Emergency Critical Care. Dr. Buchanan has a very unique experience in:
- Respiratory Disease
- Cardiac Disease
- Eye Conditions
- Sick Foals
Ben joined BVEH Navasota in 2005, where he works alongside his father, T-Bone. He is also active in community outreach by speaking at meetings and events around the world regarding equine care.
Ben is married to the lovely Shana, whom he met in veterinary school. Shana is a small animal veterinarian and owner of Lake Conroe Vet Group. They have two children, Jane Marie and Terrell.
“I like challenging cases that present a puzzle, whether that is a poor performance, illness, or critical case. I especially like cardiac cases and foals.” –Dr. Ben Buchanan
To watch Dr. Ben Buchanan’s Platinum Performance video, “I Am An Equine Veterinarian” click here.
Publications and Papers
- Radcliffe RM, Buchanan BR, Cook VL, Divers TJ.The clinical value of whole blood point-of-care biomarkers in large animal emergency and critical care medicine. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25590562
- Buchanan BR, Andrews FM. Treatment and prevention of equine gastric ulcer syndrome. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract. 2003 Dec;19(3):575-97. Review. PubMed PMID: 14740758. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14740758
- Buchanan BR, Sommardahl CS, Rohrbach BW, Andrews FM. Effect of a 24-hour infusion of an isotonic electrolyte replacement fluid on the renal clearance of electrolytes in healthy neonatal foals. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2005 Oct 1;227(7):1123-9. PubMed PMID: 16220674. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16220674
- Buchanan BR, Sommardahl CS, Moore RR, Donnell RL; American College of Veterinary Radiology. What is your diagnosis? Pyloric-duodenal intussusception. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2006 May 1;228(9):1339-40. PubMed PMID: 16649933. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16649933
- Sargent SJ, Frank LA, Buchanan BR, Donnell RL, Morandi F. Otoscopic,
cytological, and microbiological examination of the equine external ear canal. Vet Dermatol. 2006 Jun;17(3):175-81. PubMed PMID: 16674732. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16674732
- Rohrbach BW, Buchanan BR, Drake JM, Andrews FM, Bain FT, Byars DT, Bernard WV, Furr MO, Paradis MR, Lawler J, Giguère S, Dunkel B. Use of a multivariable model to estimate the probability of discharge in hospitalized foals that are 7 days of age or less. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2006 Jun 1;228(11):1748-56. PubMed PMID: 16740076. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16740076
- Andrews FM, Frank N, Sommardahl CS, Buchanan BR, Elliott SB, Allen VA. Effects of intravenously administrated omeprazole on gastric juice pH and gastric ulcer scores in adult horses. J Vet Intern Med. 2006 Sep-Oct;20(5):1202-6. PubMed PMID: 17063717. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17063717
- Andrews FM, Buchanan BR, Smith SH, Elliott SB, Saxton AM. In vitro effects of hydrochloric acid and various concentrations of acetic, propionic, butyric, or valeric acids on bioelectric properties of equine gastric squamous mucosa. Am J Vet Res. 2006 Nov;67(11):1873-82. PubMed PMID: 17078749. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17078749
- Frank N, Buchanan BR, Elliott SB. Effects of long-term oral administration of
levothyroxine sodium on serum thyroid hormone concentrations, clinicopathologic variables, and echocardiographic measurements in healthy adult horses. Am J Vet Res. 2008 Jan;69(1):68-75. PubMed PMID: 18167089. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18167089
- Andrews FM, Buchanan BR, Elliott SB, Al Jassim RA, McGowan CM, Saxton AM. In vitro effects of hydrochloric and lactic acids on bioelectric properties of equine gastric squamous mucosa. Equine Vet J. 2008 Jun;40(4):301-5. PubMed PMID: 18321809. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18321809
- Wong DM, Alcott CJ, Wang C, Hay-Kraus BL, Buchanan BR, Brockus CW.
Physiologic effects of nasopharyngeal administration of supplemental oxygen at various flow rates in healthy neonatal foals. Am J Vet Res. 2010
Sep;71(9):1081-8. PubMed PMID: 20807149. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20807149
- Nagamine CM, Castro F, Buchanan B, Schumacher J, Craig LE. Proliferative
pododermatitis (canker) with intralesional spirochetes in three horses. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2005 May;17(3):269-71. PubMed PMID: 15945386. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15945386